Monday, May 30, 2016

Weekly Update~"Learning Each Week"

Dear Family and Friends,
This week was busy as usual, but once again, nothing too out of the ordinary occurred. Just still keeping busy doing missionary work! However, there were a few random, unrelated lessons I was able to learn throughout the week that I'd like to share. Again, I'm very grateful for all the experiences and lessons I've been able to learn on my mission. I know our Heavenly Father has a hand in each of these times and that he's molding me into what he wants me to become.
  • This Tuesday, I went on exchanges with Elder Brogan. He is an awesome missionary and I appreciate everything I was able to learn from him throughout the day. There are times that I feel inadequate in my calling as a missionary and I've felt added pressure since I've been called to be a district leader.   But from him, I was able to be reminded that the Lord qualifies whom he calls and that I know what is expected of me, I just need to continue striving to do my very best and continue to be a worthy vessel of the Lord.
  • Also, enjoy the pictures Shumway, Koopmans and I took Tuesday night;)


  • On Saturday evening, we had a wonderful lesson with Ignatius. For those of you who don't know who Ignatius is, he is a guy that Elder Nambale and I began teaching. He has a great young family. His wife isn't as interested right now, but she still politely greets us when we come over. He has come to church about 5 times now and is still progressing but, his issue is that he feels that his prayers haven't been completely answered yet although he loves the church. We had a great conversation with him about baptism as we taught about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and we answered a lot of concerns. At the end of the lesson, Elder Mumba asked him why we feels that we keep coming over to teach him. He gave a list of 4 or 5 reasons, but the first reason he gave is that it's because we love him. When he said that I immediately felt the Spirit and feelings of gratitude. I was thankful because that's my number one goal when I go and teach people. I hope that they feel of how much we as missionaries love them and on the other hand, how important it is that our investigators feel of this love.
  • I learned how crucial planning is to missionary work and how important it is in general, even after I go home. When we make plans for the upcoming days and weeks, it's important that our plans and goals match up. Sometimes as missionaries, we get into a habit of mindlessly making plans just to cross something off the list of things to do daily. However, if we approach our planning this way, we are setting ourselves up to fail. We can't mindlessly set increasing goals for each key indicator and say we want to find one new investigator then not set any time aside to go finding or set appointments to contact potential investigators. 
  • The Lord recognizes how you're using your time as a missionary. Depending on if you're doing what you're supposed to do determines whether he will trust you with teaching another one of his children and bringing them the knowledge of the truthfulness of the restored gospel. Even if we get bounced from an appointment, there's always something to be done. It's important to not find ways just to fill time in our days.
  • The Gospel is what brings true happiness. I was able to see this with the baptism of Bosco and Joanna yesterday. I am so happy for them and I know they will continue to be a blessing to all those around them.
Sorry, no rhyme or reason to my email this week, just putting thoughts to paper:)

I love you all,

Elder Hazen

No comments:

Post a Comment