Monday, June 6, 2016

Weekly Update~ "Witness Comes After a Trial of Your Faith"

Missionary Car Selfie

Dear Family and Friends,

This week Elder Mumba and I saw the principle that a "witness comes after a trial of your faith" in action. As we spent the minimum of 1 hour a day finding new investigators, we came into contact with many potential families as we knocked gates in a particular area that had been successful for finding people who speak English in the past. We set return appointments with most of them, but when it came time to meet with them later that week, they either didn't answer the phone, or they weren't around when we reached their homes. After this happened a few times, and after teaching a few people who weren't very serious or weren't interested, I began to grow more and more frustrated. However, in my personal studies I finished the Book of Mormon this last week and as I was finishing up, I read in the Book of Ether Chapter 12 Verse 26 which talks about the above mentioned principle. During this time, the scripture brought great comfort to me and I knew the Lord was preparing a family for us to begin teaching as we continued to stay the course, follow the counsel of our mission leaders, and do what we were supposed to. This witness came this weekend as we found two wonderful families- husbands and wives with children who are baptism age. We taught one on Saturday and one on Sunday after church. I'm so grateful the Lord answers prayers and teaches us lessons in our times of trial. We were received well by both families and extended baptism dates to both and will be following up on their experiences with prayer this upcoming week.

We have continued to teach Ignatius and have been trying to help him have a spiritual experience to allow the Spirit to testify the things we have been teaching him are true. In attempt to do that, we showed him the Joseph Smith: Prophet of the Restoration movie. The Spirit was so strong as we watched together and learned about the sacrifices Joseph made for this Gospel and how he ultimately sealed his testimony with his blood. After we watched, he had a renewed desire to find out these things for himself. Please pray for him this week.

I had the opportunity to conduct my first companionship exchange this week as District Leader with Elder Nyambita. We spent the day doing some fruitful finding in his area. We were able to set some promising return appointments and were able to get into someone's house and teach a small lesson. I enjoy opportunities like these to get to know other missionaries in the mission and always look forward to learning new things from them. I really enjoy Elder Nyambita's boldness in his finding approach. We ended up having a great day and had a good discussion about the purpose of spending time tracting and contacting.

A lot of times, missionary work is difficult but there are certain times that make it all worth it. One of these times is when you get to hear a Recent Convert bear testimony in Sacrament Meeting. Yesterday, 3 of our Recent Converts bore testimony including Bosco and being able to sit there and feel the Spirit as they testified simply was a wonderful experience and my heart was full of gratitude that I've been able to participate in their journey of gaining a testimony for themselves. Bosco and Joanna were also confirmed as members yesterday.

To conclude, I just wanted to share a brief testimony about the Book of Mormon. I have read it every single day for my entire mission and I learn something new every day. I add my testimony to Joseph Smith's that it is the most correct of any book on the face of this Earth. I testify that the Book of Mormon and the Bible are one in purpose: to testify of the Savior Jesus Christ. I know that it is true and it was brought forth and translated by the gift and power of God and that Joseph Smith was called in his weakness and strengthened to do this great work. 

I love you all,

Elder Hazen

RJ Sent Pictures of Rwanda, so we can see the sites!



No comments:

Post a Comment