Monday, November 23, 2015

Weekly Update~ "Golfing, Intoxication and a Baptism!"

The Chapel in Lugazi

New Friends

The beautiful Landscape 


Tracting
Golfing in the rain



The Big House

Elder Hazen on the Baseball Field

Elder Hazen and Henry

Elder Hazen & Dowdle with Steven



Hey Everyone,

This week wasn't too interesting on our part, but I'll list a few highlights.
  • I don't know if I mentioned this, but last week Elder Ward and I were able to go golfing in Lugazi with the Elders in Jinja, Elder Whitworth and Elder Randall, and Walukuba, Elder Owen and Elder Darko. We had a blast even though it rained the ENTIRE time but I guess that's what you get golfing in Uganda!
  • In Lugazi, there's a restaurant in town called Chilli Willy's and it makes literally the best food I've had in my 4 months of being here. So far we've gone there 4 times as a district this transfer and every time I've gotten a pizza or a chicken sandwich. Tastes just like home:)
  • This weekend, we were able to watch conference and it was a few of the most frustrating days of my mission. Haha we had so many technical difficulties, it was ridiculous. The power died twice, we couldn't get any speakers to work, one of our baptism candidates didn't show up to his baptism on Sunday, and we had an intoxicated individual yelling throughout the broadcast, to name a few of our trials. 
  • However...We managed to baptize one individual named Steven. Steven is one of our guards who guard our compound and he's one of the coolest people ever. He has such a strong testimony that he's gained through prayer.  I'm so proud of how far he's come in the short time I've been able to associate with him in Lugazi. 
  • I was able to finally meet Henry Odong, the coach who took the first ever team from Africa to the Little League World Series. I just talked to him and he asked what I'm doing here and I explained everything about my mission. He took us to the field and I told him we'd love to give him service and he got super excited. He took us to lunch after. 
  • I live in a HOUSE!  The house is big but, it's warn down.  It's nice to have a lot more space. The other Elders I live with are cool. Every night we make no bake cookies and hang together.
  • At the end of the week, I've been able to learn that though we go through hard times and our patience is sometimes tested, the Lord is always there, anxious to bear us up and pour out blessings. I'm so grateful for the living prophets on Earth today, and the opportunity I had to listen to them this week, and also for the Church's growth in Uganda. I'm so excited to be able to witness the organization of the second stake in Uganda next week! 
I love you all and have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Enjoy your time with your families and give thanks to the things that matter most in your lives.

Love, 
Elder Hazen

No comments:

Post a Comment