Friday, March 3, 2017

Weekly Update~ "Pro Tanto Quid Retribuamus"



Dear Family and Friends,


In this most recent session of General Conference, President Uchtdorf gave a talk titled "O, How Great the Plan of Our God!" In it, he talked about the coat of arms of the city Belfast, "Pro Tanto Quid Retribuamus" or, "what shall we give in return for so much?" As I've reflected on this past transfer, I've been asking myself a similar question. I have felt God's presence in numerous ways this transfer as he's walked hand in hand guiding Elder Chifamba and I to individuals prepared to receive the gospel. I can't say enough about the Nsambya ward, it's members, it's level of organization, and the overall experiences I've been having here. The district and zone, though small in number, accomplished much as we had success in each companionship, and grew more unified. The Lord is blessing me with another transfer here in this area. The zone is increasing from 6 to 10 and we're excited about it.
(Filling Up the Font for Castro's Baptism)



This week, we baptized brother Castro. Elder Chifamba and Elder Thomas, then Smith, then myself, have been teaching him for three transfers, but between him going to the village for holidays, being on campus for school, being out of town for work, his baptism was long overdue. A few weeks ago, we set a program to meet and went over the baptism interview questions with him. The way he answered reflected his readiness, so we set a goal for baptism the following Sunday. However, his phone was stolen, and he began to miss the church activities he normally attended, so his baptism date came and went and we felt a little defeated, as we were doing all we could with him. He had the desire to be baptized, he was prepared, but for whatever reason, things weren't working out. Fast forward to Tuesday morning last week. Elder Chifamba and I were driving to a lesson, and we saw him moving the other way on the opposite side of the road so I immediately pulled the truck around and we rolled the window down to talk to him. Turns out, he had been in the village again trying to earn some money to buy a plane ticket and visa so he can go to Dubai for 2 years to work so he can go back to school. When we met with him Wednesday afternoon, he expressed a deep desire to be baptized and we felt the Spirit as we were talking about it. He is planning to leave this upcoming week, which wouldn`t be enough time to have him baptized then confirmed the following Sunday, so we suggested to baptized him Friday, then confirm him Sunday. We called Bishop to see how he felt about it, and he approved it, so we moved forward with the interview Thursday, baptism Friday, and confirmation Sunday, and fortunately, it all worked out. I'm grateful for Castro and his understanding of the importance of these saving ordinances and I know he will continue to build his testimony as he attends church in Dubai. What shall I give in return for so much? Everything I have left in me for these remaining 4 transfers because I owe it to the Lord.

I love you all,
Elder Hazen

No comments:

Post a Comment