Monday, September 21, 2015

"Weekly Update~ Ugandan Kids Love Candy, Stickers and Magic"












Hey everyone, 
Love, 
I had an amazing week this week. I have so much to talk about I don't even know where to begin! First of all I'd just like to state that my coca-cola consumption has been about as much as the average Mormon Utah County mom's diet coke consumption. Haha way too much! Also, this week I had a knack for falling and slipping down hills etc. I had some pretty magnificent falls on my mission (I've already torn a hole in a pair of pants) but this week it was pretty bad. My highlight was stepping in one of the sewage canals in the village. Awesome.
 This week 3 mosquitos got under my net one night and i woke up eaten alive. I was so mad!  I had some pretty interesting food too. I don't know if I mentioned this before but the Relief Society President is from Utah and she invited us over for dinner my second week here and we had spaghetti... super nice!! This week I had a meal of posho and mukenne. Which is basically posho drowning in a soup with an entire fish inside (bones, scales, etc) haha I felt like a full Ugandan after that and it wasn't too bad! For the most part, we're fed super well by the members which is a blessing. 
  This week we had my first zone conference at President's home. He taught some powerful things and it was good to get the chance to reflect and see what I need to improve in. The biggest thing I got out of it is that we need to constantly be mindful of our body language when we're working and that attitude is everything! We carry the happiest message in the world. No one is going to believe that if they see us walking around all day with our heads down and shoulders slumped! I'm grateful for the inspired leadership here.
  This Sunday, my first two baptisms, Raymond, and Dennis got the priesthood. I was so excited for them! The gospel has seemed to have a huge influence on them. I love seeing them wherever I go because they always have the biggest smiles on their faces. They were ordained by some aaronic priesthood holders who recently got the priesthood as well. It was cool to be able to see them be able to exercise that power for the first time. It doesn't matter how old you are in the church. as long as you are clean and prepared, you can be used as an instrument in the lord's hands.
  This Friday we were able to have a missionary fireside at Sister Mufabi's home in Kisugu. Basically, all the members in the area were supposed to invite an investigator and all 4 of us from my district had the opportunity to teach throughout the night. We had an amazing turnout. It was probably my favorite memory so far on my mission. I had a bunch of candy and stickers from home so I brought them and handed them out and the kids flipped out. They began singing "happy birthday" because they felt like it was a birthday. so cute. We had an egg toss and it reminded me of the Melendez 4th of July family picnics. Then, Elder Oliphant and Elder Hart started pulling out magic tricks and the members loved it. Haha they were so mind blown! Then we got to roast maize and teach more lessons. At the end of the night, we had at least a dozen new contacts. I'm so thankful to have gotten the opportunity to work with these wonderful members. 
  I love my mission so much and I want nothing but the best for these people because they deserve it. We have two baptisms this week I'll talk about them more next week.

I love you all so much keep doing all you can to strengthen your relationship with your father in heaven every day!

Elder Hazen

No comments:

Post a Comment