Monday, October 19, 2015

Weekly Update~ "Interviews, Baptisms and Bananas"



District

Newest Member of the Ward~ Eunice

Elder Hazen's New Companion 

Hello from the UKM!
   This week was one of my favorite weeks on my mission so far! I'm seeing so many blessings from the Lord and it's been great. Elder Mair and I have really been focusing on seeing the small miracles throughout the day and it's crazy how blessed I am to be one of the Lord's servants. 
   First of all, I'd like to thank the YW from the Cedar Hills 14th ward because the package you guys sent with the notes and candy got here this week and Elder Mair and I greatly appreciated it:)
   This week on Tuesday, we were able to have interviews at the mission home with President Chatfield and it was great! He asked me about how my progress is and if I worry about teaching lessons anymore. I told him that I really don't because I feel like the spirit takes over in lessons and I'm just his mouthpiece. Also, we discussed about Ammon and how he was saved from an angry lamanite who tried to kill him while lamoni, him, etc, were over come with the spirit. he asked why that was, and I told him it was because of mosiah's prayers for his sons and the promise the Lord gave him. That his sons wouldn't be harmed on their missions. He told me that it's applicable to my mission because of your guys' prayers every day and I really appreciated that. Then he told me how pleased he is with me and how fast I'm growing and to continue learning all I can so I can lead one day. 
    We were also able to have trainings on Christlike Attributes from the AP's. The atonement really does play a role in everything we do, including developing Christlike Attributes. We are nothing without the Lord's help I can't stress that enough. It's part of the reason I chose Alma 26:12 as my missionary plaque scripture. 
   We baptized another investigator named Eunice, and it was a really nice baptism. We got a lot of support from the ward which was super nice because I think that's important for an investigator to remember their baptism!
   So this week, we were talking to Mama Mafabi, who's basically my mom away from my real mom. She's such an amazing lady. She feeds us like every day and is great with giving us referrals. We also have family home evening at her home every Sunday night which I'll talk more about later. Anyway, she was telling us about our RC, Charles, and how happy he is now that he's found the church and how much his life has changed since the first day we met him. I was able to give him a blessing and it was my first time giving a blessing on my mission so it meant a lot to me hearing about how much it impacted him. He's been working with us to help his son progress towards baptism too. His son's name is Rogers and has come so far and has been through a lot. When we met with him this Saturday, and saw how far he's progressed, we moved his baptism date to Saturday. I'm so happy for him because he's one of the coolest, most knowledgeable people I've met and it strengthened my testimony more on the power of the atonement. 
   Last night, we had a lesson on the atonement from Alma 34 and it connected to my personal study from 3 Nephi 18 on how Jesus commands us to be perfect even as he was perfect. I then wrote a James E Faust quote in my scriptures that says, "“I would that ye should be perfect even as I, or your Father who is in heaven is perfect.” Perfection is an eternal goal. While we cannot be perfect in mortality, striving for it is a commandment, which ultimately, through the Atonement, we can keep." Basically, I'm just super grateful for the atonement and for what I've been able to learn on my mission so far! The Book of Mormon has become my best friend and I can't imagine my life without it.
   This week, Elder Mair and I made a slingshot and launched bananas off our balcony...that's for all you who think missionary life is boring;)

Love you all,

Elder Hazen

No comments:

Post a Comment