|Mama Mafabi Wearing RJ's Sunglasses|
|RJ and Leslie|
Dear Friends and Family,I'd like to first start off by saying that I'm thankful for the Church of Jesus Christ being restored to the Earth and that I'm thankful that it is led by living prophets and apostles who receive revelation on behalf of the world. I was able to view conference this weekend and it was an amazing experience being able to watch it as one of the Lord's thousands of missionaries. All our leaders are so inspired and I'm lucky to be able to bear witness that they truly are selected by the hand of Jesus Christ. I'll share a few brief thoughts at the end of this email.
Okay, now I'd like to share a few thoughts from Conference:
- I can't remember who talked about it, but there was an individual who talked about Doing Your Part in the work. I believe it was during Priesthood session but I'm not completely sure (I forgot my conference notes, bear with me). He talked about that if we do our part in the Lord's work, he will recognize your effort and add His blessings to our efforts. I've seen that more than ever in missionary work. Every day, Elder Mair and I walk to the very border of our area in Kisugu, and though it's difficult and tiring, I've seen so many blessings from it.
- It was a neat experience to be able to hear from Elder Haynie, who I grew up listening to in Stake Conferences and Firesides when I lived in San Diego. He talked about how people's burdens can be lifted through the Atonement. That is so true and my testimony of the Atonement has been strengthened so much in these few short months. It was cool to be able to watch Rogers, the investigator we baptized this week completely turn his life around in a few short weeks. We met two more of Charles' kids this weekend and are looking forward to teaching them as well.
- I really enjoyed Elder Hales' talk and it contained some great advice for my life when I get off my mission.
- The General Authorities always seem to focus on a few specific topics throughout the weekend. This weekend, they seemed to place an emphasis on improving our Sabbath day worship, improving our faith in the simple, pure gospel principles, doing the simple things like praying, reading, studying, and pondering (ponderizing) the scriptures.
- Lastly, I'd like to add my own gratitude to Elder Holland's when he spoke of Mothers. I'm so thankful for all the mothers in my life that have had a positive impact on me. I'm honestly so extremely grateful for my own mother who raised me up on gospel principles, always encouraged me to do what is right, and for her being a potter in her own way helping mold me into the person I've become. Thanks for helping me get out on a mission, mom. I love you more than you can imagine.
Thanks for the support, I love you all, and take what you learned from conference and apply it!