Thursday, August 13, 2015

First Week in the MTC Done!

Hey everyone! 
My first week in the MTC is in the books! It's crazy that a week ago I was one of the wide-eyed Elders walking around campus overwhelmed and wondering what I got myself into! First I want to say that I'm doing great. I feel more and more like a missionary each day and I love the feeling of being on a schedule and being busy all day! I'm kinda bummed that you'll only get a single update from me while in the MTC but the next time you'll hear from me I'll be in Uganda! The MTC is an interesting experience because though I'm on my mission and I'm teaching lessons, being somewhere in Africa teaching real people is going to be a whole new ballgame and a whole new adjustment. I'm getting stir crazy and I'm ready to just get into the field. I can only imagine what people like Elder Burraston are feeling being stuck here for weeks are feeling because a week and a half is enough for me!
My first day in the MTC was a little bit of a shock and it was weird being on a strict schedule. We just went through a bunch of orientation stuff and got to meet our district, teachers, and zone.Our first devotional was given by the MTC president. Let me tell you... the first time singing Called to Serve after being set apart as a missionary with a bunch of other kids from around the world with my same calling was one of the coolest things I've ever done.We finished up the night by being taken on a tour by our zone leaders around campus and we unpacked our stuff at our residence hall. Crazy that I'll be the one giving tours to new missionaries tonight! In our room there are 3 set of companionships so 6 kids to a room. The other elders have been here for 3 weeks and are learning Russian. I believe all of them are going to the Ukraine. Really nice guys!  Being stuck in classes was hard at first but i'm beginning to understand the importance of learning the fundamentals before being thrown out into the real game...kinda like baseball;) I feel like I'm improving as a teacher and making sure my investigators understand our purpose as missionaries to invite all to come unto Christ by faith in Christ and his atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end. My companion's name is Elder Packer, and he's from Kaysville Utah. He went to Davis High and is a trombone player. (I'm not sure if you all got my first letter update from my mom telling you about him) He and I work really well together teaching and I enjoy being around him a lot. Our district is so much fun. I'm currently laughing and joking with them as I'm writing this email. Elder Packer, Elder Hatch, and I are the only ones from our district going to Uganda. The rest are going to Irvine California and Federal Way Washington. 
I currently have two investigators I'm teaching lessons everyday. One is a role play, where a teacher poses as a real investigator they had on their mission and you have to teach them like a real person, and another, we believe, is a real investigator. Her name is Carolina and she is from Mexico and moved here to Provo to learn English to study medecine. She's really sweet. I've seen so many friends it's crazy! It's really nice to see familiar faces around. I've seen Elder Burraston, both Elder Goeckeritzes, Elder Clark, Elder Savage, Elder McDonald, Elder Hall, Elder Smith, Elder Searle, Elder Ingersoll, and so many others.
The food is alright, I try to eat a ton and I think I'm actually putting on weight which is nice:) I play volleyball with my district every day so I can't wait to destroy every one when I get home because I can actually pull off a jump serve now;)
I love you all and I appreciate all of your support as I embark on this crazy two year adventure. The church is true and there is no way I'd rather devote my life these next two years.
Love, Elder Hazen



No comments:

Post a Comment